CITY OF NEWPORT – CHARTER REVIEW COMMISSION – NOTICE of PUBLIC FORUM
What: CITY OF NEWPORT – CHARTER REVIEW COMMISSION – NOTICE of PUBLIC FORUM
When: WEDNESDAY, March 5, 2014 – 6:00PM – 7:30PM
Where: Assembly Room of the Newport Police Station – 120 Broadway, Newport RI 02840
Citizens may address the Commission on all matters pertaining to the Charter Review. The Charter Review Commission requests the time of comments for each person be limited to five minutes. Questions and discussion may extend the time limit at the discretion of the Commission.
Of particular interest to the Charter Review Commission are the following issues:
- The way we elect our mayor
- Whether or not to eliminate the wards and have all City Councilors elected at large
- Term limits and staggered terms for the School Committee and City Council
- Election vs. appointment of the School Committee
- The roles and responsibilities of the Mayor and City Manager
- How Boards and Commission function, among other operating functions of City government.
If time allows, the Commission will proceed with items to do with a regularly scheduled business meeting.
- Roll call
- Determination of quorum
- Approval of the minutes from the January 29, February 5 and February 19 meetings
- Format for presentation of Charter changes to the Newport City Council
- Assignment of Charter section changes to Commission members for presentation to City Council
A copy of the current City Charter is available for review in the City Clerk’s Office, or may be viewed at www.cityofnewport.com. Click on Codified Ordinances.
For more information on the public hearing, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Newport Charter Review Commission – Isabel Griffith, Chair